Wednesday 26 May 2010

Market Day Today

Well in my exciting world today is the local market day, not that it is very special, and in fact there was a market yesterday. I actually live right next to the main market, and market days are Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.  As we are out in the sticks most people buy just about everything from the market, a part from a few general type stores the market is about the only place you can buy anything. Of course most of the stalls sell fresh produce, meat and vegetables, fish is also very popular. At the roadside end there are a number of people selling ready-to-eat-food such as fried chicken, various fried other stuff and drinks. In my opinion none if it is very special, one of the few things I buy is fried chicken breast coated in breadcrumbs, that not bad and at 10 baht a piece it’s also cheap.
Recently a women appeared selling Sushi, which is actually excellent and at 5 baht a piece good value.
From time to time various people turn up with new ideas, some good some bad. The other week a guy showed up selling Pizza, Muslim Pizza in fact. The promotional stuff said Thailand’s No 1 Muslim Pizza, now as we all know the Muslim World is famous for Pizza (Not), personally I thought it came from Italy, are Italians Muslims? Now if he was selling Kebabs then I would be interested, I have lived in Saudi Arabia and the kebabs were excellent. Anyway as it turned out this Muslim Pizza wasn’t that bad, nothing like a proper pizza (no cheese for a start only some sort of sauce out of a bottle), the base was more like soft bread and for topping he only had seafood, now having said all that it was edible. When you’re in the middle of nowhere your standards can soon drop.
So on today’s menu is spaghetti with a tomato seafood sauce, I have some large packs of spaghetti that I bought from Makro, the sauce I will make from scratch as we don’t have the luxury of ready made pasta sauces and Italian Restaurants are non-existent in this part of Thailand. I know your all thinking this fool lives in Thailand and makes Italian food, well when you have been in Thailand for 8 years Thai food becomes a little boring. Thai people amaze they eat virtually the same food every day, and then when you go to a restaurant they get excited about Thai food. The wife is the same, a few weeks ago we went to the beach, and there are a lot of nice little restaurants along the beach road. I let her order because I can’t be bothered, and usually if I order something nobody eats it. Low and behold what does she order Geng Som (Orange curry), we’ve already had it 3 times that week at home.
So anyway later I will head across the road to buy a big bag of tomatoes, some onions and of course the sea food (squid, prawns and fish), I will also need some basil so I will head off on the motorbike to little spot I know where it grows in the wild. It also be lovely to have a nice drop of red wine with this pasta, no chance of that  have never seen wine in any shops around here, it all beer and whisky, of course there is always Spry Wine Cooler, disgusting over sweetened Alcho-Pops.
With this post I have included a couple of pictures, one is of the street I live, and yes I know it looks bad. The other is of the market, taken from the balcony of my bedroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment